The 2015 edition of the La Manga Club International Pro-Am will make its return to the Confederation of Professional Golf-sanctioned events line-up from February 17-19, 2015, with up to 30 teams from across the continent set to contest an overall prize fund of €30,000.
The inaugural tournament took place at the award-winning venue in Murcia, south-east Spain, in March and was hailed as a huge success for the club resort, which has enjoyed significant growth during 2014 including the opening of a new Leadbetter Golf Academy as part of a €1m renovation of its practice facilities, with the first phase of the redevelopment taking place at the same time as the competition.
Set in an area three times the size of Monaco, La Manga Club boasts a proud sporting history including featuring South African star Gary Player as its first director of golf and European Tour legend Severiano Ballesteros as the complex’s touring professional between 1980-85, while the resort is also the official overseas training base of the Lawn Tennis Association.
The 2014 edition of the tournament was won by PGA of Holland professional Joost Steenkamer after completing a stunning comeback on the back nine of his final round to finish level par for the tournament, three shots ahead of PGA of Sweden professional Mikael Lundberg.
“La Manga Club is somewhere we have great pleasure in returning to due to the key role it has played throughout the Association’s history,” explained Confederation of Professional Golf chief executive, Ian Randell. “We are very pleased that the first event in 2014 was a great success and we’re sure that the pro-am will continue to grow into the future.”
José Asenjo, general manager at La Manga Club, said: “La Manga Club is delighted to be partnering with the Confederation of Professional Golf again after the overwhelming success of the inaugural event earlier this year.
“As one of the world’s top sports and leisure destination, it is important that the resort continues to host events like this to showcase the extensive golf and practice facilities that we have to a discerning international audience including our new Leadbetter Golf Academy – one of the leading new teaching and practice areas to be found anywhere in Europe.”
Pro-am packages for teams of one professional and three amateurs are available priced at €950 per amateur (free for professionals), but golfers can take advantage of an early booking offer of €899 when booking before 15th December. The Pro-Am participation fee for amateurs includes:
- 4 nights’ twin-share accommodation at 5* Hotel La Manga Club Príncipe Felipe (16th – 19th February 2015 inclusive)
- Buffet breakfast
- 3 Pro-Am rounds (2 rounds on South Course, 1 round on West Course. 17th, 18th & 19th February 2015)
- 1 official practice round (1 round on South Course. 16th February 2015)
- Practice balls
- Welcome reception (16th February 2015)
- Light lunch on 4 tournament days
- Gala dinner & prize-giving ceremony (19th February)
- Daily temporary licence from the Murcian Golf Federation
- There is no Pro-Am participation fee for each participating professional with a team of 3 amateurs. Complimentary accommodation in a twin-share room (no extras) is offered to each participating professional for 4 nights on a bed & breakfast basis at Hotel La Manga Club Príncipe Felipe.
- Accompanying person fee applies to spouse/partner of each participating professional.
- Professional Prize Fund of €30,000 (based on 30 teams entering)
For more information on La Manga Club visit www.lamangaclub.com.